Luke Cuenco 12.19.21
Modern hunters and riflemen have the benefit of a lot of advancement. However, the concept of the shooting stick or shooting sticks has been around for far longer than most realize. The idea behind shooting sticks is that a hunter is able to transport these lightweight sticks into the field with him and if he happens upon a target in the open without being able to shoot from a prone position and not having anything to stabilize his shooting position from, is able to quickly deploy his sticks in order to take a more precise shot from a standing, sitting or kneeling position. The same goes for tripods even though they might be a more modern invention arguably stolen or appropriated from the photography industry (although both persons are still taking a shot). So today we’ll take a look at some handy tripods and shooting sticks for you to try out for your next hunt in the wide open.
AllOutdoor’s 12 Days of Christmas Day 10: Shooting Sticks and Tripods
As mentioned above, sometimes you’ll find yourself in a standing position with no trees or barriers to stabilize yourself on when your window of opportunity for a clean shot comes up. The BOG Dead Silent shooting sticks are lightweight and made from robust aluminum making for the perfect all-weather hunting shooting sticks. The sticks are adjustable to accommodate for different heights of hunters as well as uneven terrain for one or both of the sticks and are capable of collapsing down small enough to not get in the way when navigating hunting terrain.
- Made from durable Aluminum
- Non-Marring and weather-resistant surfaces
- Folds into a more compact package for transport
- Quick deployment
- Durable 9/16″ diameter aluminum tubing
- Standing model extended height: 72″ usable height when legs are spread
- Weighs approximately 16 oz
- Available in kneeling and sitting lengths
- $44.99 at BOG
The BOG™ DeathGrip Aluminum Tripod is engineered to be the most stable precision tripod on the market. Its aluminum legs have unmatched durability for ahunt after hunt. The patented clamp secures any weapon, hands-free, freeing the BOG™ hunter to glass or call on the hunt with ease. The aluminum legs have unmatched durability and reduce its overall weight making it highly portable without sacrificing stability.
- Lightweight Carbon Fiber or Aluminum Construction
- 7.5lbs in weight
- 3-position leg lock for use in prone, kneeling, or standing positions
- Hands-free weapon handling
- Retractable steel spikes for softer terrain
- Adjustment knobs that control up to 25 degrees of adjustment and a clamping head that pans 360 degrees with tension capabilities
- $169.95 for Aluminum or $279.95 for the Carbon Fiber model at Brownells.com
Don’t know if you’ll need a tripod, monopod, or bipod? Go with all three! The Quest T62U is a tripod, bipod, and gun pod all in one durable, heavy-gauge aluminum alloy shooting stick. Its removable third leg can be used as a monopod. Quest helps you handle the elements with soft foam, contoured hand grip, and anti-slip rubber feet. Its removable U-shaped yoke with rubber fins swivels 360° so you can make shots at every angle without repositioning the shooting stick.
- Folds down into a 28-inch more portable package
- Leg Spread strap for transport
- “U” Shaped yoke with rubber fins for more stability
- Adjustable from 27″ to 62″ in height
- Weighs 2.2 lbs
- Quick Flip lever leg locks
- Available for $99.99 from Black Ovis
By far the lightest and least complicated option on the list. The Adrenaline Monopod is ready for your UNKNOWN. It’s designed for all hunting situations, from a turkey hunt out of a blind to chasing elk in the dark timber. Built for the utmost in portability, versatility, and stability, the adrenaline features lever leg locks, retractable metal foot spikes, and the patented Switcheroo system. The Switcheroo® system allows for quick changes between optics accessories and the USR shooting yoke.
- Available in Black or Veil Alpine Green color schemes
- Adjusts from 22″ to 62″ in height
- Weighs 1.36 lbs
- Shooting rest head rotates 360-degrees
- Compatible with Switcheroo mounting systems
- Retractable steel spike for more terrain stability
- Made from durable aluminum
- Doubles as a walking stick
- Available for $59.99 at BOG
Table of Contents
About the Author
Luke is currently a full-time writer for TheFirearmBlog.com, OvertDefense.com, AllOutdoor.com, and of course, OutdoorHub.com. Luke is a competitive shooter, firearms enthusiast, reloader, outdoorsman, and generally takes an interest in anything that has to do with the great outdoors.
Luke is also a private certified pilot and is currently pursuing his commercial pilot’s license in the hopes of becoming a professional pilot. Some of Luke’s other interests include anything to do with aviation, aerospace and military technology, and American Conservancy efforts.
We are committed to finding, researching, and recommending the best products. We earn commissions from purchases you make using the retail links in our product reviews. Learn more about how this works.