Fujifilm today announced a new flagship in its APS-C sensor X Series mirrorless lineup, along with two new lenses including a super-telephoto that will be of particular interest for wildlife photographers. The Fujifilm X-H2S is the company’s most advanced X Series camera yet, with impressive burst shooting capabilities. Paired with the new FUJINON XF150-600mmF5.6-8 R LM OIS WR, the camera offers a compelling system for telephoto wildlife and sports photography.
The Fujifilm X-H2S features a new 26.2-megapixels X-Trans CMOS 5 HS imaging sensor that’s a stacked design with back-side illumination that Fujifilm states delivers up to 4x faster signal reading. The camera also introduces a new X-Processor 5 that doubles the processing power compared to the previous generation processor.
The new sensor and processor combination allows subject-detection AF and improved image quality throughout the ISO range. It also enables the camera to shoot with full AF/AE tracking at up to 40 frames per second with its electronic shutter (15 fps with the mechanical shutter). For extended bursts, the camera can record over 1,000 frames at 30 fps in JPEG or 20 fps RAW. Even the slower of these speeds are ample for wildlife and sports photography.
The FUJINON XF150-600mmF5.6-8 R LM OIS WR introduced with the X-H2S is the company’s longest telephoto zoom, providing an equivalent focal length range of 229-914mm. The lens is also compatible with the X Series XF1.4x TC WR and XF2x TC WR teleconverters. When used with the 2x, the XF150-600mmF5.6-8 can reach a remarkable 1828mm equivalent.
Also introduced today is another new zoom, the FUJINON XF18-120mmF4 LM PZ WR, equivalent to 27-183mm. With the new X-H2S body and FUJINON XF18-120mmF4 and XF150-600mmF5.6-8 R LM OIS WR zooms, photographers can cover an impressive focal length range with just two lenses.
The Fujifilm X-H2S and FUJINON XF150-600mmF5.6-8 R LM OIS WR are expected in “early July” with the FUJINON XF18-120mmF4 LM PZ WR following “in or around September.” List prices: $2,499 (X-H2S); $1,999 (XF150-600mm); $899 (XF18-120mm).
For additional details on all three products, see the press releases below.
Fujifilm Introduces X-H2S Mirrorless Digital Camera
New flagship camera features enhanced still and video capabilities
Valhalla, N.Y., May 31, 2022 – FUJIFILM North America Corporation today announced the launch of its next flagship X Series mirrorless digital camera, FUJIFILM X-H2S (X-H2S). The most advanced X Series mirrorless camera yet, X-H2S includes advanced features for both still photography and video. It is also the first APS-C digital camera of its kind to feature Fujifilm’s 26.16MP X-TransTM CMOS 5 HS imaging sensor, a stacked, back-side illuminated imaging sensor with a signal reading speed up to four times faster than Fujifilm’s previous X-TransTM CMOS 41.
X-Trans™ CMOS 5, combined with the newly minted X-Processor 5 (which doubles the camera’s processing power compared to X-Processor 4), greatly enhances overall image fidelity at lower ISOs and reduces noise at higher ISOs. Subject-detection AF, which maximizes the tracking speed and accuracy of moving subjects is now made possible through the incorporation of an AI processor.
For video, X-Processor 5 enables the recording of 10-bit 4:2:2 video in resolutions up to 6.2K/30P and frame rates as fast as 4K/120P and FHD/240p. Support for professional codecs, like Apple ProRes HQ/ Pro Res 422/ Pro Res LT, provide incredible flexibility within post-production workflows, while also minimizing power consumption, thereby extending the camera’s maximum video recording time up to 240 minutes.
“The universal reaction to X-H2S has been, ‘This is exactly what I’ve been waiting for!’ The overwhelmingly enthusiastic response reinforces my belief that X-H2S will be the versatile, hybrid digital camera that can meet the diverse needs of photographers and motion production professionals,” said Victor Ha, vice president, Electronic Imaging and Optical Devices Divisions, FUJIFILM North America Corporation. “It’s fun to see so much enthusiasm for this camera, especially since the features it has aren’t normally found at a price point of only $2499.95.”
With these sensor and processor updates, X-H2S achieves substantial performance improvement over other digital camera models on the market, including:
● Major boost to burst mode capability: X-H2S can apply AF / AE tracking in blackout-free continuous shooting conditions of up to 40 frames per second*2, and can create over 1,000 frames continuously with the high-speed burst shooting mode set to 30 frames per second (JPEG) or 20 frames per second (RAW)*3
1 In comparison with the X-TransTM CMOS4, carried in the current camera model
2 Applies to high-speed continuous shooting conditions without viewfinder black-out (i.e., with photographer still able to view the subject). AF / AE tracking in these conditions is only available when using the electronic shutter.
3 Performance based on a cold start, when using the electronic shutter.
● Dramatically evolved autofocus (AF) performance: X-H2S’s high number of AF calculations performed per second improves overall AF accuracy and facilitates subject-detection AF. Developed with Deep Learning technology, subject-detection AF implements an advanced prediction algorithm to enhance the performance of Zone AF, by refining the camera’s ability to track moving subjects in low-contrast environments. Subject detection and tracking has also been expanded from the human face and eyes to now include animals, birds, cars, motorcycles, bicycles, airplanes and trains. X-H2S keeps targeted subjects consistently in focus, allowing users to concentrate on framing and critical image-making opportunities.
● Exceptional video performance: X-H2S digital camera supports internal recording of 4:2:2, 10-bit Apple ProRes HQ/ ProRes 422/ ProRes LT and ProRes 422 Proxy at resolutions of up to 6.2K/30P and 4:2:2, 10-bit h.265 video in frame rates as fast as 4K/120P and FHD/ 240p. The sensor’s readout speed of 1/180 seconds when recording video further assists in minimizing rolling shutter effects on moving subjects, or when the camera itself is moving. A heat-dissipating design brings the 4K/60P continuous video recording time to approximately 240 minutes, while the optional FAN-001 cooling fan accessory assists with maintaining similar levels of performance in high-temperature conditions.
● Significant flexibility for external recording: X-H2S is the first X Series digital camera to contain F-Log2, which provides a dynamic range of up to 14+ stops, allowing for more creative possibilities both in production and post-production workflows.
Additional Product Features:
Best subject tracking in X Series history
● X-H2S controls phase-detection pixels independently from image display when in burst mode. This triples the number of calculations in phase detection from the acclaimed FUJIFILM X-T4 and enables high-speed focusing even during high-speed continuous shooting.
● X-H2S’s electronic viewfinder uses a high-resolution, 5.76-million-dot panel with a magnification of 0.8x. With a frame rate of approximately 120fps, the smooth viewfinder offers stellar visibility as a result of strong suppression of parallax and distortion (which commonly occurs when an eye position becomes displaced while using the viewfinder), thereby enabling accurate subject tracking.
Thoughtful design to enhance users’ content creation experience
● The camera features an all-new five-axis, in-body image stabilization mechanism, which offers up to 7.0-stops of image stabilization4. Users can comfortably choose to operate the camera handheld in active environments (e.g., sports) or in low-light conditions (e.g., nightscape).
4 When mounted with the FUJINON XF35mmF1.4 R lens
● X-H2S incorporates the popular design features of Fujifilm’s previous X-H1 model, such as a large grip that works well with large lenses, an LCD display on the top panel for users to check settings at any time, and a highly-robust body that withstands heavy professional use. Many additional improvements have also been included in the design and construction of X-H2S:
● The shutter button’s overall feel has been adjusted to improve its operability when it is half-pressed. This allows users to release the shutter exactly when intended.
● A standalone video recording button has been added to make the experience of recording video with the 1.62-million-dot, vari-angle LCD monitor a seamless experience.
● From the fit and finish of the buttons and materials used in the construction of X-H2S to being able to map specific functions to the AF ON button, image-makers will find the experience of using X-H2S intuitive and familiar. Shutter durability has been optimized, withstanding 500,000 actuations during quality and performance testing.
● The camera features dual memory card slots supporting one CFexpressTM Type B and one SD card5. Users can draw out the full potential of X-H2S’s fast, continuous image-making and video performance with the high-speed data processing performance of CFexpressTM Type B memory cards.
5 See the Fujifilm website for a list of verified compatible cards.
Several new accessories are also being introduced to complement the launch of X-H2S. These optional accessories include:
Vertical battery grip (VG-XH)
● Dust- and moisture–resistant and is designed to operate at temperatures as low as 14 degrees Fahrenheit (-10 degrees Celsius). It fits two FUJIFILM NP-W235 high-capacity batteries.
● The grip’s button layout is designed to provide equal operability whether holding the camera vertically or horizontally.
File transmitter (FT-XH)
● Features wired LAN connectivity and high-speed wireless communications capability, essential for in-studio tethered content creation or for creating sports/media content. It can also be used as a vertical grip using two FUJIFILM NP-W325 high-capacity batteries.
● It can be combined with X-H2S to support the following communication specifications:
● FTP transfer by wired LAN / wireless LAN / USB Smartphone tethering
● Tethered shooting by wired LAN / wireless LAN
● Remote recording function by wired LAN / wireless LAN; capable of controlling up to four X-H2S cameras from a browser at the same time
Cooling fan (FAN-001)
● Specifically designed for the X-H2S to facilitate extended image creation and video recording in high temperatures.
● The fan can be fitted to the rear of the camera body without a cable, supplying power, extending continuous video recording time at high temperature, and eliminating concerns of heat-related camera shutdown.
Cover kit (CVR-XH)
● Protects various terminals on the camera. Items contained in this kit:
● 1x Sync terminal cover
● 1x Hot shoe cover
● 1x File transmitter / vertical battery grip terminal cover
● 1x Cooling fan terminal cover
● 1x Memory card slot cover
Pricing and Availability:
FUJIFILM X-2HS mirrorless digital camera is expected to be available in early July 2022 at the Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price of $2,499 USD and $3,200 CAD.
Pricing and expected availability for X-2HS accessories are as follows:
VG-XH Vertical Battery Grip: Available early July 2022 at a Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price of $399 USD and $515 CAD.
FT-XH File Transmitter: Available in September 2022 at a Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price of $999 USD and $1,280 CAD.
FAN-001 Cooling Fan: Available early July 2022 at a Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price of $199 USD and $260 CAD.
CVR-XH Cover Kit: Available early July 2022 at a Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price of $19.99 USD and $26 CAD.
For more information about X-H2S and its accessories, please visit https://fujifilm-x.com/en-us/products/cameras/x-h2s/.
Fujifilm Introduces FUJINON XF150-600mmF5.6-8 R LM OIS WR Lens
Super-telephoto zoom lens offers premium image quality, lightweight design and outstanding speed
Valhalla, N.Y., May 31, 2022 – FUJIFILM North America Corporation is pleased to introduce FUJINON XF150-600mmF5.6-8 R LM OIS WR telephoto zoom lens (XF150-600mmF5.6-8 R LM OIS WR). Engineered for photographers who rely on extreme zoom capabilities, even in the most challenging photographic situations. From distant wildlife to sprawling landscape photography, XF150-600mmF5.6-8 R LM OIS WR is designed to create long-distance images with pinpoint accuracy.
“The outstanding coverage that is achievable with this lens places a range of far-reaching subjects–including wildlife, nature, and landscape details–firmly within frame,” said Victor Ha, vice president, Electronic Imaging and Optical Devices Divisions, FUJIFILM North America Corporation. “An incredible focal range paired with fast, reliable autofocus, and a perfectly balanced, lightweight design removes barriers between photographers and their subjects, so their only limitation is their own creativity.”
The lens consists of 24 lens elements in 17 groups including three extra-low dispersion (ED) elements and four Super ED elements, to deliver an advanced level of image resolution edge to edge across the entire zoom range.
Covering 35mm equivalent focal lengths of 229mm – 914mm, image makers can extend the reach of XF150-600mmF5.6-8 R LM OIS WR through either FUJIFILM XF1.4X TC WR or FUJIFILM XF2X TC WR teleconverters. The lens’s longest focal length extends to 1200mm (35mm equivalent of 1828mm), closing distances in an instant.
The fast autofocus system, driven by a linear motor, attains precise focus quickly and accurately, even in the super-telephoto range, where focusing can be difficult due to a shallow depth of field.
Main XF150-600mmF5.6-8 R LM OIS WR Product Features:
Fujifilm’s longest super-telephoto range delivers premium image quality
● HT-EBC coating, typically used on broadcast lenses, has been applied on all elements of XF150-600mmF5.6-8 R LM OIS WR, to achieve high transmittance and low reflectance despite containing 24 lens elements.
● Compatible with FUJIFILM XF2X TC WR and XF1.4X TC WR.
○ XF2X TC WR – 300mm to 1200mm
○ XF1.4 TC WR – 210mm to 900mm
(35mm equivalent focal lengths of 457mm – 1828mm
(35mm equivalent focal lengths of 315mm – 1350mm
Rugged yet lightweight design to reduce user load, enabling extended shooting in a variety of situations
● XF150-600mmF5.6-8 R LM OIS WR weighs just 3.5 pounds (1605g)1 despite being a super-telephoto zoom reaching up to 600mm. Two super ED elements are used to keep the lens barrel small, while maintaining an advanced level of image-resolving performance. The use of an Inner Zoom system means the lens barrel maintains a constant length at every focal length. This results in a lightweight lens that zooms easily with no shift in weight distribution.
1 without lens hood, lens cap, and tripod collar foot
● The lens body is matte silver to mitigate temperature increase under even the most challenging wildlife, nature, and landscape photography environments.
● Magnesium alloy is used for the internal base frame that supports the lens structure to maintain durability, while keeping the overall lens weight low.
● The lens barrel is weather-sealed at 19 locations for dust and weather-resistance and the ability to operate at temperatures down to 14 degrees Fahrenheit (-10 degrees Celsius).
5-stop image stabilization mechanism
● XF150-600mmF5.6-8 R LM OIS WR features a high-precision sensor and control system to deliver up to 5-stops2 of optical image stabilization, making it easier than ever to make images at even the super-telephoto range.
2 Compliant with CIPA in pitch / yaw directions
Diverse functions for fast and silent autofocus (AF) and easy AF operation
● XF150-600mmF5.6-8 R LM OIS WR uses the Inner Focus system, which drives the lens with a linear motor to achieve fast and silent AF. Focus is attained in as fast as 0.25 seconds,3 even in the hard-to-focus super-telephoto range.
● The Focus Preset function ensures the lens remembers the focus setting for a location pre-defined with the SET button4. Users can keep creating images without having to re-adjust focus on a targeted subject.
● The Focus Limiter allows users to restrict the lens AF range. This can effectively shorten AF time when photographing a subject that is 16 feet (5 meters) away or more. The Focus Control button is conveniently located at the front edge of the lens barrel4. The Focus Select switch may be used for added operability of AF and focus lock.
*3 AF speed measured at the telephoto end, using CIPA Guideline compliant measurement method, and when mounted on the FUJIFILM X-T4 mirrorless digital camera with Phase Detection AF activated and in High Performance Mode. The AF speed at the wide-angle end under the identical condition is approx. 0.15 seconds.
*4 Fujifilm’s latest X Series digital camera firmware update must be downloaded to activate the lens Focus Preset function and the Focus Control button. An applicable firmware update for the FUJIFILM X-T4, FUJIFILM X-T3 and FUJIFILM X-S10 digital cameras will be forthcoming.
Pricing and Availability
FUJIFILM XF150-600mmF5.6-8 R LM OIS WR is expected to be available in early July 2022 at a Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price of $1,999 USD and $2,550 CAD. For more information on this lens, visit https://fujifilm-x.com/en-us/products/lenses/xf150-600mmf56-8-r-lm-ois-wr/.
Fujifilm Introduces FUJINON XF18-120mmF4 LM PZ WR Lens
Hybrid Broadcast/Video/Photo Lens a First for X Series
Valhalla, N.Y., May 31, 2022 – FUJIFILM North America Corporation today announced the launch of FUJINON XF18-120mmF4 LM PZ WR lens (XF18-120mmF4 LM PZ WR), specifically designed for photographers, filmmakers, and image-makers creating both stills and video.
“This lens marks the first collaboration between FUJINON Optics and FUJIFILM X Series engineers, creating a truly hybrid solution for motion production professionals and enthusiasts alike,” said Victor Ha, vice president, Electronic Imaging and Optical Devices Divisions, FUJIFILM North America Corporation. “Incorporating our inherent broadcast technology has allowed us to create a lens with both cinema and broadcast-style features that delivers smooth zoom, focus, and iris functionality.”
XF18-120mmF4 LM PZ WR covers focal lengths ranging from the wide-angle 18mm to telephoto 120mm (equivalent to 27mm – 183mm in the 35mm film format). The highly versatile 6.7x power zoom, with its compact design, facilitates a variety of shooting situations including landscape (wide angle) and portraiture (telephoto). The lens is also capable of producing premium-quality video due to the advanced video performance Fujifilm has nurtured in its broadcast and cinema lenses over many years.
The lens offers constant maximum aperture of F4.0 across the entire focal range from wide angle to telephoto. It also has a maximum magnification ratio of x0.2, adding versatility to how the lens can be used to frame images when subjects are closer to the lens.
Thanks to the expertise of FUJINON Optics engineers, XF18-120mmF4 LM PZ WR has minimal focus breathing. As a result, changes in angle of view and variances in optical axis shift that can occur when focusing or zooming the lens are kept to a minimum. In addition to the regular zoom and focus rings, the lens is equipped with other versatile video features including a variable zoom/focus control ring and a custom Fn button.
Main Product Features:
Broad range of focal lengths for superior stills and videos
● XF18-120mmF4 LM PZ WR comprises 15 lens elements in 12 groups, including three aspherical elements and three extra-low dispersion (ED) elements, to effectively suppress spherical aberration, distortion, and chromatic aberration. The result is excellent image-resolving performance.
● Optimum positioning of the focusing element minimizes the effects of focus breathing.
Fast and highly accurate auto focus (AF)
● The lens uses an Inner Focus system, which drives the compact and lightweight group of focusing elements with a linear motor to achieve focus in as fast as 0.02 seconds1.
● XF18-120mmF4 LM PZ WR’s focus-tracking performance is dramatically improved when attached to the FUJIFILM X-H2S digital camera. The combination brings together X-H2S’s high-speed focus drive mechanism with XF18-120mmF4 LM PZ WR’s focus-tracking performance to easily track subjects, even while recording video.
Diverse video-filming functions for easy video production
● The aperture drive control in the XF18-120mmF4 LM PZ WR has been updated from that of other XF lenses to successfully suppress exposure shift linked to aperture adjustments. When the level of luminosity changes, the aperture transitions smoothly so that exposure stays constant, even when light conditions are changing rapidly.
● The lens features a zoom/focus control ring, which allows users to control zooming or focusing at a variable speed.
● The lens also comes with a zoom feature, that drives zooming at a constant pace2, allowing users of all levels of expertise to master video production with zooming.
● Combine with FUJIFILM X-H2S digital camera and FT-XH file transmitter accessory to remotely record video on a single or multiple cameras, online through a web browser.
Compact and lightweight design for advanced mobility
● The aspherical and ED elements were designed for both size and weight efficiency, weighing just over one pound (460g), measuring approximately 4.9 inches (123.5mm) in length and with a filter thread diameter of 2.8 inches (72mm).
● The use of the Inner Zoom system means the lens barrel has a plain, non-extending structure, resulting in a lightweight lens that zooms easily with no shift in weight distribution. XF18-120mmF4 LM PZ WR also uses a smooth power zoom mechanism to drive the zoom lens group linearly with a stepping motor. This results in high-quality zooming with minimal optical axis shift across all focal lengths, from wide angle to telephoto.
Dust and weather resistant structure capable of operating at low temperatures
● The lens barrel is weather-sealed at 13 locations to ensure dust and weather-resistance and to provide the ability to operate at temperatures down to 14 degrees Fahrenheit (-10 degrees Celsius).
Pricing and Availability
FUJINON XF18-120mmF4 LM PZ WR is expected to be available in or around September 2022 at a Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price of $899 USD and $1,150 CAD.